Primary objective of modern neurosurgery
As per our conventional concept neurosurgery is something related to brain, but in modern medical era the reality is far beyond that. Neurological surgery required special knowledge and technical skill to diagnosis and treatment of patients with their injury or different types of diseases/disorders of nerves, spinal column and brain. Neurosurgical care includes both adult and pediatric patients. After preliminary diagnosis, surgeon will decide the course of the treatment. This means the surgical of non surgical procedure.
Who is a Neurosurgeon:
We can say that, a physician who specializes in surgery on the brain and all other parts of our nervous system,is a neurosurgeon. With special medical training and with neurosurgical specialties they help patients suffering from pains, illnesses. From head injury, trauma or Parkinson’s diseases neurosurgeons are our last ray of hope.
Role of Neurosurgeon:
prevention, diagnosis, evaluation, treatment critical care and rehabilitation, we can say these are the key responsibility areas of a Neurosurgeon. In modern medical science techniques and technologies are constantly changing which makes neurosurgery a very challenging surgical field where expertise is highly appreciated.
The principle subspecialties of neurosurgery:
- Skull-base surgery: It is a surgery which occurs to remove or repair on the bony surface beneath the brain. This surgery also performed to approach a cranial tumor.
- Traumatology: fast moving world head injury always cause death or disability of patients, With the help of advance neurosurgical approach and care leads to save lives in better ratio after any fatal accident.
- Neurovascular surgery: with the help of latest tools neurovascular surgery offers advanced treatments for vascular diseases of the brain and spinal cord.
- Neuro-oncology: This subject manages brain and spinal tumors.
- Pediatric neurosurgery: If new born, child or young adults are having problems related to brain; spine or nervous system a pediatric neurosurgeon cures them with their special expertise. This may include children’s trauma, abnormalities of the face, spine or head.
Now we can discuss about the main operations done by neurosurgeons.
- Different types of tumors removal including brain or skull based.
- Taking care of traumatic patients brain and spinal injury.
- Taking care of defective spinal conditions.
- Different types of infections.
- Managing strokes related malfunctions.
- The use of DBS(deep brain simulation surgery) in case Parkinson’s diseases.